Submission dates: Friday, July 1st – Monday, September 12th
Call to action: WRITERS! Are you interested in working with the world’s leading publisher of books for women? Do you love romance and are an advocate of the happily ever after? Are your characters strong & rugged, refined & sophisticated, dark & mysterious, charming & sexy, or brash & bold? Harlequin is on a nationwide mission for the great Canadian romantic hero! You do not have to be a Canadian to submit, but the story and characters should be adapted to tell a great Canadian romance.
Writing tips: Follow the #CanadianRomanticHero hashtag on Twitter for exclusive content, helpful hints and more!
List of imprints accepting submissions:
– Harlequin Desire
– Harlequin Heartwarming
– Harlequin Historical
– Harlequin Intrigue
– Harlequin Kimani Romance
– Harlequin Medical Romance
– Harlequin Nocturne
– Harlequin Presents
– Harlequin Romance
– Harlequin Romantic Suspense
– Harlequin Special Edition
– Harlequin Superromance
– Harlequin Western Romance
– Love Inspired
– Love Inspired Historical
– Love Inspired Suspense
What Harlequin needs to receive:
– Word count, manuscript title and any details about your publishing history (debut’s are welcome!)
– A cover letter that introduces your book and includes any previous publishing credits, writing contest wins, or affiliations.
– A 4 – 6 page synopsis. What happens in your book: tell us the key moments, the crucial twists and turns, and how it ends! Show us what drives your story forward, including the internal and external conflicts your hero and heroine face to get to their happily ever after.
– The first chapter of your manuscript (up to 25 pages).
What you get after submitting:
– Skip the slush pile and hear back from Harlequin by December 1, 2016.
– Editorial feedback for every appropriate story received.
– The possibility of having your novel published in Harlequin, the world’s leading publisher of books for women.
Where to submit: Visit http://Harlequin.submittable.com.
- Visit the submissions page and find out what series genre fits for your story.
It may be cold in Canada, but our men are hot.
Picture a cold, snowy night, with a howling wind outside and a roaring fire inside. You pick up a romance novel, but you think something is wrong. What’s missing? I know! A sexy Canadian hero! At Harlequin, we’re on the hunt for more stories featuring Canadian heroes because the editors in Toronto know how great Canadian men are! So we’ve come up with the Ooooh…Canada! Blitz, a submission blitz and the chance for aspiring authors to submit to any of the Harlequin series we publish—as long as the story features a Canadian hero.
Whether he’s the sweet guy next door, a sophisticated billionaire, an RCMP officer or a hockey player, the editors want heroes like him. Here are five sexy Canadian men who could easily serve as inspiration:
- Who doesn’t love Ryan Gosling in Crazy, Stupid Love? Remember the way he was so sexy but vulnerable when the right woman came along? Never mind those abs!
- Or Ryan Reynolds in The Proposal? Hmm. Another sweet Canadian guy with rock-hard abs!
- Oh, what about Nathan Fillion in Firefly? He plays a disillusioned soldier with a heart of gold. Or Nathan Fillion in Castle. His charm just shines through.
- Then there’s Paul Gross in Due South, showing how polite and gentlemanly a Mountie can be. And I don’t know how much more Canadian you can get!
- Finally, because no list of Canadian men would be complete without a hockey player, check out P.K. Subban, newly acquired defenseman for the Nashville Predators. He’s an intense competitor on the ice and a hot stud off it!
So, authors, picture any of these guys as the hero for your next book and send it to the editors at Harlequin.
We have a lot of opportunities to showcase hunky Canucks across 17 series, such as Harlequin Desire, Harlequin Romantic Suspense and Harlequin Nocturne, to name a few. Check out our series guidelines at Harlequin.com for all the details.
Authors can submit the first chapter plus a 3–7 page synopsis to the Ooooh…Canada! Blitz at Harlequin.submittable.com. Every entry will be reviewed by the editors and each author will be given feedback on their submission.
We want to show the world what we in the Toronto office have always known: Canadian heroes are the perfect men to keep you warm at night!